Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Putting Things Into Perspective....

Tonight I covered the Emergency Department (ED) at the local hospital. I met with a patient who is a victim of domestic violence. She has been married to her husband for 12 years who recently started abusing her- both verbally and physically. After three pretty severe beatings (needless to say, she is lucky to even be alive) she got up the nerve to leave him- her strength is amazing!
She is now staying in a homeless shelter at night and at a domestic violence agency during the day. Her whole life has been turned upside down and into shambles. I can not even start to imagine how she must feel- she has lost her husband, her life, her two dogs, and her dignity. How does one person cope from living the "solid" life with her husband in her own home to staying in a homeless shelter??
Her eyes revealed the pain she is going through- I wish I could have made everything better for her, if only it was that easy. Instead, all I could do was be an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, and a mouth to provide words to empower. Fortunately, there are great resources in the area for those who suffer from domestic violence, but it still leaves you with the desire to do more.
My thoughts and prayers are with this poor lady this evening.... and all of the other people in the world who are suffering, especially those of domestic violence. I can't imagine what it would be like to be scared in your own home and of the person you love. It certainly puts things into perspective in your own life....

No comments:

Post a Comment