Monday, March 8, 2010

Thoughts and Prayers

This evening I ended up picking up an extra shift at Mercy for the social worker who was suppose to cover the ER. Her father had a heart attack and she needed to be with him in the hospital. Me being a nice person, I picked up her shift! It was a pretty good night until I got a page about this little six year old girl....

This girl had a pretty big impact on me.... enough to make me lay here in bed at 11:30 at night and think about her and wondering how she is doing...

She was brought to the ER by her mother, who found her crying in the fetal position on her bed. When she asked the little girl what was wrong, all she could do was cry and hold herself. Her mother quickly figured out what had happened.... this poor little six year old girl had been sexually abused and raped.

Never before have I seen something so horriable. The little girl looked so scared and just hung onto her mother for security. I can not only imagine what she was going through, but also what her mother was going through as well. I am not a mother, but I can imagine that as a mother you feel like your job is to protect your children. I am sure this mother feels like she has failed. I tried numerous times to assure the mother and the little girl that this was not either of their faults- I only hope that I was able to help and provide some sense of support and security to them. We were able to get the little girl the medical attention she needed and the police involved so that the man that did this horriable crime to this little, innocent girl can be charged! I can only hope that he gets what he deserves...

Needless to say, it was quite an emotional night. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to this little girl and her family- espeically her mother. It will be a long journey for them, I can only hope that we were able to help them in some sort of way. Please say an extra prayer for this little one and her famliy.

2 comments: